Illinois State University
Illinois State University
Jump over the College navigation bar.

Healthcare and Insurance

Maintaining your health is important. Healthcare in the United States is very expensive, which is why all ISU students are required to maintain proper immunizations/vaccinations and health insurance.

New Students

All new students must submit their immunization history to Student Health Services and have a Tuberculosis (TB) Screening done by the 10th day of classes.

Immunization History

Health Services prefers that you submit the Immunization History Form.  You can download and submit the form on the Student Health Services Immunization Requirements webpage. Health Services will also accept Immunization Records from your home country physician, but the original signed document must be in English.  They will not accept translated documents or documents in a language other than English.

TB Screening

For more information regarding the mandatory TB Screening, please visit Student Health Services Immunization Requirements webpage. You can schedule your TB Screening by calling (309) 438-2778 or visiting the Student Services Building. The TB Screening must be performed by ISU Student Health Services.

Health Insurance

Students at Illinois State have two options for getting insurance:

University Health Insurance

The University's Student Health Insurance provides excellent coverage at a reasonable cost.

All Illinois State students who enroll in at least 9 credit hours (Fall/Spring) or 6 credits (Summer) are automatically enrolled in the University's Student Health Insurance. You don’t have to do anything to sign up. The Student Health Services website contains information about this insurance plan, including coverages and benefits, as well as the cost of the program.

In addition to covering standard insurance terms, the University's Aetna policy also includes worldwide medical assistance such as unlimited emergency medical evacuation and repatriation, emergency transport to your home country if a family member has a life-threatening condition, natural disaster evacuation, and more!

Please note that dependents (spouse/children) are not covered by Illinois State University's Student Health Insurance. You will need to purchase insurance for them from a private company or an insurer from your home country.

Private Health Insurance

You may choose to use insurance from your home country or from a private company within the US. To use insurance from home or a private company, you must first be able to prove that it is as good as, or better than, Illinois State's plan. You must show detailed information in English (like a policy plan or brochure detailing the coverage) to the University's Student Health Insurance Office. If your insurance is satisfactory, you will be allowed to cancel your automatic Illinois State coverage by completing a form. For a listing of options, email

US Healthcare System

For a brief introduction to the US Healthcare system and how it works, watch the video below.

2017-02-10T11:36:17.925-06:00 2017